With such a large range it can often be confusing as to when to use each fitting. The content below will hopefully provide a simple guide as to when to use our Q&E Shrink-Fit, RTM and Press Fit fittings (including the new S-Press Plus range).
Please note- it is recommended that MLC pipe is used for "in front" of wall applications and PEX pipe is installed "behind the wall"
What is Q&E Shrink Fit?
Q&E Shrink Fit fittings are compatible with a wide range of PEX pipes (12mm to 63mm) and can be used to create tapwater and radiator connections.
- Quicker than soldering and suitable for immediate handling
- Suitable for secondary returns
- No corrosion
- Safe and no fire risks – no heat guns or naked flames are used
- Clean – no messy fluxes are required
- Simple – no rubber seals or moving parts reducing the chance of leakages
- Minimal equipment required- PEX pipes, Q&E Shrink-Fit fittings, Cutters and M12 Milwaukee gun
2. Ring Tension Memory (RTM)
No tools are required to make an RTM joint. Simply insert the MLC pipe into an RTM fitting and wait for the "distinctive click" to ensure that the joint is watertight. Joint security can also be guaranteed by looking through the window of the RTM fittings.
How does the RTM fitting work without any tools?
The high carbon steel spring ring acts as the tool itself, applying even pressure around the pipe. Through its inherent memory it then cleverly maintains this pressure, absorbing temperature fluctuations to ensure a sound watertight joint at all times.
• Very secure jointing
• Colour coded joint indicator
• No tool dependence
• Joint indicator – visible & audible
• Fast and easy installation
• Fully certified and approved
• No soldering and pipe wrenches
3. Press Fit
Like the RTM system, the Press Fit system is compatible with MLC pipes. The main difference with this system however, is that it works with a wider range of MLC pipe sizes- 16mm-110mm. In addition, the following tools are required to construct a press fit joint- a press fit tool and a jaw (see below). Compression fittings are also needed when working with radiator connections.
To ensure you pick the right fitting for each pipe size, colour codes are attached to each fitting. What's more for added joint security, inspection windows are provided on the pressing sleeves to help review the connection before and after pressing.
We have recently updated our range of Press Fit fittings (S-Press Plus- 16-32mm) to be tougher, safer, smarter and easier to install. You can read more about the benefits of this for your next installation below.
How does the Press Fit system work?
Two press fit tools are currently available to assist you with making a joint:
- Mini 32- for pipes ranging from 16mm-32mm
- UP110- for pipes ranging from 16mm-110mm
Find out more
Press Fit Benefits
- Lightweight, flexible and form stable
- Available in 16mm-110mm
- Fittings in PPSU and brass
- Slim and appealing on wall installation
- Fast, flame-free installation; at least 50% labour saving
- 100% oxygen barrier and low expansion rates
Why choose S-Press Plus fittings
1) Tough- high resistance to drinking water and mechanical stress
2) Safe- unique press indicator for a fast and safe connection
3) Easy-Improved flow rate and a reduction of pressure losses by up to 60%
4) Smart- QR code access to technical information and onsite support