Have you heard what Uponor UK has been up to recently? Read our successful stories
Over the last few months, Uponor UK have been busy assisting its clients with a range of projects which require an MLC and PEX pipe plumbing solution. From housing developments to commercial spaces and rail stations, Uponor UK have assisted a wide range of clients.
Why not read more about these projects below and see how Uponor solutions can fit within your next project
Madison Residential Tower, Canary Wharf
Contractor- Balfour Beatty
Developer- JLL and Savills
Products- Multi-Layer Composite Pipes (MLCP) (20mm)
- As part of the ongoing Canary Wharf, East London redevelopment scheme, a huge new construction project at Maddison Tower (181m, 423 luxury 1 and 2 bedroom apartments, 54 floors) is set to take place
- Offering breathtaking views of the River Thames, it is set to become the highest tower in Canary Wharf
Working in collaboration with the Madison’s mechanical contractors, Uponor UK have so far delivered over 28,000m of pre-insulated MLCP, combined with manifolds and connections to supply the domestic services for the first 15 floors. Ongoing work will take place throughout 2019 to fulfill project demands
Key to the success of the Madison project is Uponor’s ability to provide high specification, fire resistant, pre-insulated MLC combined with helping with connection solutions to meet the demanding specifications laid out by the project’s consultant engineers and architects.
Lillie Square, Earls Court
Contractor- Sir Robert McAlpine
M&E Contractor- FB Elmers
Client- Berkeley Group
Products- Multi-Layer Composite Pipes (MLCP) (20mm)
- Lillie Square combines distinctive, contemporary architecture with references to traditional London garden squares and mansion blocks. Delivered in two phases, the project will bring a total of 8,000 new homes to Earls Court, along with 7.5 acres of landscaped green space and London’s largest private residents’ club.
- After liaising with the mechanical contractor (FB Elmers), it was agreed that 20mm MLCP along with press-fit connections would be the best solution for supplying hot and cold water to 362 bathroom pods, including en-suites and family bathrooms, with a total of 10 different pods designed to fit the requirements of varying apartment layouts.
- Before the installation was carried out, FB Elmers were provided with full training by the Uponor technical team, so that they had the required knowledge to install the MLCP sysetm safely within the different apartment configurations.
Old Oak Common Rail Depot, London
Contractor- Taylor Woodrow
Products- Thermally Active Building System (TABS), underfloor heating, EcoFlex Thermo PRO pre-insulated pipe, MLC pipe and PEX pipe
- Constructed for Bombardier by Taylor Woodrow, the project is one of the largest rail depots in Europe, with capacity to accommodate up to 33 trains for routine maintenance and for 12 trains to arrive or leave every hour.
- Thanks to Uponor’s early engagement with the design team, ambient heating and cooling has been designed into the building fabric and the energy strategy for the building. EcoFlex Thermo PRO pipe in various sizes will take warm water from the plant rooms, carrying it below ground to connect with MLC pipe and, from there, to different types of PEX pipe coiled through the rebar in the floor slab to create the TABS.
- The TABS will run beneath every platform and every track to enable a safe and comfortable temperatures for train maintenance teams.
If you wish to find out more about PEX pipe connections, please watch our latest video.
Norman House, Derby
M&E Contractor- EPG services
Products- MLC, PEX and Q&E Shrink-Fit plumbing
- To help address the housing shortage in Derby, an office block (Norman House) has been converted into 134 apartments. On offer are a range of 1 and 2 bedroom apartments, which are close to the thriving Derby nightlife, sweet little cafes, shopping areas and a bustling market.
- During the design stage of this project, it was decided by the Contractor that an integrated plumbing solution was required which was easy to supply and hard to dismount. After engaging with the client, Uponor supplied MLC/PEX pipework and Q&E Shrink-Fit fittings.
- In total, Uponor provided a distribution manifold for each floor, which was made up of MLC fittings. To ensure water was supplied to each apartment, PEX pipework was connected to the manifold with Q&E Shrink-Fit fittings.
Principal Hotel, London
Products supplied- PEX and MLC pipes
- Following a £multi-million refurbishment and re-brand by Principal Hotel Company, the ‘grande dame’ of Russell Square is set to welcome a new generation of discerning guests under the new brand name "Principal London"
- Hidden within the service cavities across the hotel is a plumbing installation that will be just as instrumental in delivering luxury comfort levels to guests, regardless of occupancy levels and the time of day
- Uponor were on hand to upgrade the traditional copper piping with PEX and MLC pipe. By selecting this system, water pressure can be maintained and fewer joints were required throughout the installation. What's more, Q&E fittings were used to provide a secure joint, which prevents leaks
Media City, Manchester
Contractor- Vermont Property Group
Products supplied- MLC and MLC Risers
- Located in the thriving Manchester Media City district, X1 Media City will be the largest residential development in the North West and is set to dominate the Salford Quays skyline. The development includes four iconic residential towers, which will boast a mix of studios, 1, 2 and 3 bedroom apartments. Space is allocated on the first and second floor for commercial and retail units
- The client requested MLC for supplying hot and cold water in each apartment. To control individual appliances, “L” manifolds were specified within each block.
Galliard Homes, London and south east
Contractor- Galliard Homes
Products supplied- MLC (16-32mm)
- Galliard Homes have been busy working on a range of multi-story housing projects over the last year in London and the south east region. The company has been in operation since 1992 and have built up a reputation as the capital’s largest privately owned residential property developer.
- Over the last year, Uponor UK have worked on 3 Galliard projects- The Atria (Slough), Baltimore Tower (Canary Wharf) and Harbour Central (Docklands). In each of these projects, Uponor UK supplied MLC pipework in a range of sizes (16-32mm) for the plumbing system
- MLC was specifically chosen due to its aluminium core, which prevents oxygen ingress. What's more, no hot works were required which meant it complied with all health and safety regulations.
Limecroft Apartments, Salford
Main Contractor- Kier
M&E Consultant- Premier Project Services
Client- Oldham County Council
Products Supplied- Multi-Layer Composite Pipe (MLCP), 1000m
Composite press adaptors- 600 in total
- A £4million housing scheme, which includes 20 self contained apartments designed for those with learning difficulties
- Uponor were selected to provide pipework to each of the apartments for hot and cold water supply. This pipework was connected to the main feed in the corridors (copper)
- The M&E consultant was particularly impressed with the reduction in installation time due to longer pipe runs and fewer fittings required.